Franky's Birth Story

It’s been one week since we welcomed our precious little man into this world. One week of snuggles, one week of bliss and one week of my heart exploding bigger than I could have ever imagine. One week of you, Franky, and I cannot stop smiling.

Our Birth Story:

As you all know, I was set to be induced on Monday March 11th if baby boy didn’t come on his own before then. Ever since our first ultrasound, he’s measured between two and four weeks large so at 40 weeks exactly, my doctor didn’t want me to go any further, I. Hopes of preventing a very large baby and a c-section.

Franky's Birth Story - The Overwhelmed Mommy Blogger

On Sunday the 10th, my sister came over and took over Ava duties and my husband and I headed to the hospital to get things started. So the plan was to take Cytotec at the hospital the night before my induction — it’s an oral pill used to soften the cervix. As soon as I got all hooked up, Franky’s heart rate suddenly dropped for whatever reason, we aren’t sure why. It was a quick dip and went right back to norms but because of that and protocol, I could not longer be offered anything orally. So we went to Plan B — Cervidil, which is the same thing but is inserted vaginally. If his heart rate were to drop again, they could remove it instantly, unlike something I’d taken orally.

They inserted the Cervidil at around 11pm and we attempted to get some sleep through the night. At around 6:30, my nurse woke me and and let me know that it was time. The pitocin drip started at around 7:00am and then was turned off for an 8:15am epidural. After the epidural was inserted, the pitocin was turned back on and there we waited for anything to happen.

At 9:15am my doctor came in and broke my water and while I expected something more, I didn’t even notice. She started leaving the room after checking dilation and I said “so when will be break my water?” And she laughed — she had already broken it. Oops!

At around 10:00am, our nurse came in and let me know that Franky’s heart rate kept dropping during contractions and if it continued, they’d need to stop the pitocin. Noon rolled around, it kept happening so they stopped the pitocin completely. Franky’s heart rate had dropped too many times (and at the wrong time, in comparison to when contractions were happening) so because of protocol, I could not longer receive it — that’s the non medical way they explained it to me.

Thank goodness my contractions kept going and I kept on progressing or who knows what would’ve happened! Would they have sent me home and tried another day? No clue but I’m just so thankful my body kicked in on its own.

At around 1:30pm we were still having some issues with his heart rate and while I knew in my heart it would all be okay, them putting that oxygen mask on me was a bit intimidating. Contractions started getting terrible and with Ava, I didn’t feel a thing. But this time, the pain was unreal, even with an epidural, and I was in tears. I asked them to up the epidural drip and by the time the anesthesiologist got there, I was having three contractions back to back.

And that’s what did it.

Franky's Birth Story - The Overwhelmed Mommy Blogger

I went from 6cm to 10cm extremely fast and then the hustle and bustle began and they let me know it was go time.

Around 2:15pm I started pushing. Meanwhile, baby Franky decided to flip over the wrong way. I continued with the pushing and once again, his heart rate continued to drop through the contractions. They called in the NICU team just in case (he was big and his belly was stuck and ended up having to get some fluids pumped from his stomach after delivery), they got the vacuum ready and I kept on pushing. After the next set of pushes, I asked my doctor what the potential risk of the vacuum would be and she said “I can only try the vacuum so many times and if it doesn’t work, then you’ve got yourself a c-section. But don’t worry, you’re just going to push him out right now.” I sure do love my doctor and her positive and laid back attitude. 

The word “c-section” surely kicked me into gear and once the next contraction started, my little man was out within 4 pushes. 

At 2:30pm on March 11, 2019 we welcomed Frank Edward Hallak III (Baby Franky) into this world at 9lbs 4oz and 21 inches long and I got to kiss those sweet cheeks for the very first time. We could not be more over the moon to finally have our little man in this world and I haven’t stopped smiling from ear to ear.

Welcome to the world, handsome. I’m so blessed that I was chosen to be your mommy.

Franky's Birth Story - The Overwhelmed Mommy Blogger
Franky's Birth Story - The Overwhelmed Mommy Blogger
Franky's Birth Story - The Overwhelmed Mommy Blogger