13 Ways to Make Someone Smile Today
Ohh those internet trolls.
Last week someone commented on one of my posts saying “You look like a 15-year-old in that outfit” and I laughed. Like literally laughed out loud because... umm... why is commenting that possibly necessary? I posted it on stories, made a couple jokes about it and was on my way.
And then last night rolled around. I was sitting on the couch watching Grey’s Anatomy, eating a mug brownie I’d just made (which was incredible by the way) and I got a notification that someone had tagged me in a story. Typically this makes my day when you all promote me — it makes me smile SO BIG and I get all warm and fuzzy and giddy inside.
I begin reading and just seconds later my stomach drops. This is not one of those story re-posts that’s gonna make me feel giddy and in fact, it was quite the opposite.
I won’t go into detail about all that was said but to sum it up, this “lovely person” was announcing to the world that I’m a terrible mom — don’t worry, she mentioned that I’m a terrible dog mom AND a terribly human mom. Double whammy, right there!
SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER MET ME ONCE IN MY LIFE JUST PUBLICLY ANNOUNCED THAT I’M A BAD MOM.
Like wait, what??
I sure hope this person was having a bad day and that they regret it today and feel bad for their actions (I doubt it but I do hope). So today, I’m dedicating this blog post to YOU, random internet stranger who thinks it’s normal and appropriate to call someone a bad mom who you’ve never met. Heck, I’m not even sure if this person has kids or not!
So here they are, 13 Ways to Make Someone Smile Today. And I encourage you all to choose at least one and help make someone’s day. You never know whose life you could positively impact for something that costs you nothing at all.
1. Pay for the person behind you in the drive thru line.
2. Leave a post it with a happy little note on it on a public mirror, or on the mirror in your kids’ bathroom or leave it for your husband or wife or roommate to see when they go to open their car door this morning.
3. Give someone a sincere compliment — their outfit, their hair, their smile, their hard work ethic.
4. Smile. Simple as that. Just smile at someone and make it just the biggest grin you’ve ever grinned.
5. Hold the door open.
6. Let someone merge onto the freeway before you or let someone over into your lane.
7. Allow someone to cut you in line at the grocery store.
8. Post a funny meme or a heartfelt post on your social media that’s sure to make a lot of people smile!
9. Tell someone you’re proud of them — your husband, kids, a friend, a co worker.
10. Send a random text to someone you don’t see every day letting them know you’re thinking about them.
11. Listen. Just listen to someone who needs an ear.
12. Say “thank you” to someone special in your life.
13. Compliment YOURSELF. Yes, you are human too and you deserve kindness not only toward others, but toward yourself. Remind yourself that you’re a fantastic mom, that you’re a wonderful person, that you look amazing today or whatever it may be. Or heck... compliment yourself 30 times over.